What Is Motivation…?
Motivation is the inner power or energy that pushes one toward performing a certain action. Motivation has much to do with desire and ambition, and if they are absent, motivation is absent too.
Often, a person has the desire and ambition to get something done or achieve a certain goal, but lacks the push, the initiative and the willingness to take action. This shows a lack of motivation and inner drive.
Motivation strengthens the ambition, increases initiative and gives direction, courage, energy and the persistence to follow one’s goals. A motivated person takes action and do whatever it needs to achieve his/her goals.
Motivation is usually strong, when one has a vision, a clear mental image of a certain situation or achievement, and also a strong desire to materialize it. In this case motivation pushes one forward, toward taking action and making the vision a reality.
Motivation can be applied to every action and goal. It could be motivation to study a foreign language, to get good grades at school, bake a cake, write a poem, take a walk everyday, make more money, get a better job, buy a new house, own a business or become a writer, a doctor or a lawyer. Motivation is present whenever there is a clear vision, precise knowledge of what one wants to do, a strong desire and faith in one’s abilities.
Actually, motivation is one of the most important keys to success. Lack of motivation either does not bring results or brings only mediocre results, whereas motivation brings faster, better and bigger results. Compare a student who lacks motivation and who hardly studies, to a student who is highly motivated, and who devotes many hours to his studies. They will get absolutely different grades.
Lack of motivation shows lack of enthusiasm, zest and ambition, whereas the possession of motivation makes one full of life, and willng to do whatever it takes to achieve what one sets out to do. A motivated person is a happier person, more energetic, and sees the positive end result in his/her mind.
What can you do to enhance your motivation and awaken the power that will push you toward accomplishing your dreams, small and big? Here are a few suggestions:
- 1. Set a goal. If you have a major goal, it would be a good idea if you split it into several minor goals, each leading to your major goal. In this way, you will find it easier to motivate yourself, as you will not feel overwhelmed, and the goal would seem more feasible and easier to accomplish.
- 2. Understand that finishing what you start is important. Hammer into your mind that whatever you start you have to finish. Develop the habit of going to the finish line.
- 3. Socialize with others of similar interest. Motivation and positive attitudes are contagious. Associate with motivated people, who share your interests.
- 4. Never procrastinate anything. Procrastination leads to laziness, and laziness leads to lack of motivation.
- 5. Persistence, patience and not giving up in spite of failure strengthen the motivation to succeed.
- 6. Read about the subjects of your interest. This will keep your enthusiasm and ambition alive.
- 7. Constantly affirm to yourself that you can and will succeed.
- 8. Look at photos of what you want to do, get or achieve.
- 9. Visualize your goals with happiness and joy.
Remember, if a certain goal is really important, you need motivation to keep you going.
An Article by Remez Sasson